Plasterboard can be considered to be a versatile building material for interior works. One can construct a false chimney, make archways, figure niches. But most often are mounted from drywall partitions and walls. Such designs allow you to quickly and easily change the layout and to carry out zoning of the premises or at the same time leveling the walls and insulate, to isolate from the noise of the room itself. However, due to the considerable thickness of the material and frame, if you want to install, some “eat” space. Therefore, the rational decision will be to partition off the room light plasterboard dividers or to finish all the walls only when a significant settling area of the room. And if such variant suits you, we recommend you to get acquainted with useful descriptions of the material and specifics of its application. Guidelines and precise instructions will help you have a proper installation of the walls of plasterboard with their hands.
- The advantages and disadvantages of gypsum wall
- Types of gypsum Board
- Plasterboard walls using frame technology
- The necessary materials and tools
- The construction of the frame
- Drywall installation
- Rough finish – the sealing of joints and holes
- Alignment of walls with gypsum Board gluing
- Installing light partitions
- Methods of finishing walls drywall
- Examples of the design of the walls of plasterboard
- Tips for working with drywall
To build a plasterboard wall can be on any place: in an apartment or a brick house. Such structures can be erected and in wooden houses, but you need to remember that full finish drywall with wood (to maintain the overall style) would be impossible. Under the influence of heavy timbers drywall will begin to deform. The mounting structure can be carried out on a frame (made of metal profiles or wooden laths) and frameless way. Before putting the drywall on the object is to arrange the room to store it. To put drywall on the side (long side) at a slight slope along the wall. It can also be put on the floor, after erecting a small wooden platform. Such a precaution will eliminate the contact with accidentally spilled liquid on the plaster and it getting wet.
The advantages and disadvantages of gypsum wall
Important benefits of using drywall, the walls or the construction of partitions is simplicity of installation. Even if necessary, the frame work is done quickly and easily. Other advantages of this material include:
- full ecology of leaves (due to the absence of harmful binders in the composition);
- the possibility of finishing walls built of different materials;
- the strength of the finished structure;
- availability by price category (even for special types of drywall);
- the ease of implementation of non-standard forms of partitions;
- easy treatment material before application;
- healthy indoor climate thanks to the high vazduhoplovstvo ability of the plaster layer.
The disadvantages of plasterboard walls (which were collected only from the GCR and profiles) can be attributed to low sound insulation. Also special attention is necessary to approach to the storing of the sheets. They are very fragile and careless discharge or a bad location in the settling area may be damaged. One drawback — low resistance to loads. To drywall will not work to put up the shelves or to fix on this heavy lamp with glass lampshade.
Types of gypsum Board
It is quite pleasant plus plasterboard can be attributed to the diversity. In the modern market of building materials, you can find the following type of sheets:
- normal (GCR): is a plaster dough, between the layers of cardboard, often used for the construction of partitions and alignment of the walls; not suitable for use in rooms with high humidity;
- moisture proof (PLASTERBOARD): include supplements, which increases its resistance to moisture and cause mildew or mold; suitable for installation on kitchen and bathroom;
- fire (PLASTERBOARD): apply for the walls (or constructing partitions) on the objects with increased fire hazard; can be placed near stoves, furnaces, fireplaces;
- lagoonstyle (GLOW): a special type of drywall that is resistant to moisture and allows it to increase the fire safety of the premises.
See also: Design of walls of gypsum plasterboard +40 photos
Klassificeret drywall and purpose. For walls with a wall material whose thickness is more than 12.5 mm. For example, Knauf sheets can have a thickness from 12.5 to 24 mm.
Plasterboard walls using frame technology
The construction of plasterboard walls on the frame is the most common way of their installation. This technology is applicable for the construction of partitions with zero and to align the walls on which there are differences of more than 4 cm. the Advantage of this method is the availability of reliable base from profiles where you can not only hide the wiring, but also to position the insulation Board. It is universal and suitable for implementation in any of the spacious premises and when working with all types of plasterboard. An important advantage of the technology is the easy styling of the premises due to the installation of NIS or curved walls with light. Despite the use of numerous materials and tools, the construction of timber frame plasterboard walls is carried out without much difficulty. Below, we have examined the detailed instructions that will allow you to carry out the installation of this design with your own hands.
The necessary materials and tools
In order to independently perform the installation of drywall on the wall, you will need to prepare the following materials and tools:
- the sheets of drywall;
- guides and support profiles;
- punch (for the profiles);
- screwdriver (for fixing themselves GCR);
- tin snips (for cutting);
- construction knife (for cutting the drywall sheets);
- suspensions under the supporting profile;
- nylon thread (for convenience, mark the vertical plane on which to align profiles);
- construction angle or ruler (for drawing on sheets of gypsum Board the incision site; however, it is possible to do this work using existing profiles);
- dowels (fixing frame);
- tapping screws for drywall (special fasteners for sheets).
Additionally, it is necessary to prepare protective equipment (mask, glasses). It is worth remembering that cutting GCR — dusty job.
The construction of the frame
Correctly assembled the frame is the guarantee of reliability of the entire plaster wall. Therefore, the device of the bases under the leaves need to be very careful. To collect the correct frame by the following steps:
If the usual wiring pipe (for example, in the bathroom) just sutured the drywall, the wiring harness will require some additional work. Laying all the wiring is done in ripple. This will allow you to create a secure transaction. Next, determine the placement of elektrotochek (switch, socket). These areas are summed up wires in the corrugation. On the drywall under elektrotochki need to make holes with the help of special nozzles “crowns”. That corrugation is not hanging under the drywall, you must fix it with clamps. Plastic straps are usually fastened to the hangers.
Laying wiring it in such a way to have the “stock” wires, and not have it vnatyazhku. Additionally it is recommended to create a wiring diagram, so that in the future, if necessary, to get easy access to individual wires, rather than dismantle the entire wall completely.
The easiest task in the Assembly of plasterboard walls or partitions can be considered direct mounting sheets. But for a proper device design need to hold the correct calculations and to correctly trim the GCR. You need to remember that the joints of the sheets should be at the centre of the carrier profile. If in the process of calculations will be required, that strip of drywall about the size of 10 cm or less, you need to reconsider joining and to increase this piece to at least 20 cm.
See also: Wallpaper for living room – 100 photo examples
This narrow strip was originally going to be the weak point of the design and the likelihood of it fraying over time will be quite high. After preparation of the leaves is their attachment to the frame. As needed prior to installation of gypsum Board should be laying between individual frame elements of sound insulation (for such tasks are ideal for special plates). In the process of installation of drywall need to be mindful of the possible need for trimming sheets horizontally (when the irregularities of the ceiling or the floor). Also, try to be embedded the screws into the drywall so that they were not, but they formed a deep “hole” on the leaves.
Rough finish – the sealing of joints and holes
Finish gypsum Board walls to be the following:
Alignment of walls with gypsum Board gluing
Frameless mounting method of GCR seems simple. But to get a good result you need to make quite a lot of work. The bonding is carried out according to this scheme:
When variations in the wall not more than 5 mm along the perimeter of the sheet with a notched trowel to apply plaster. Two long strips of adhesive are applied at a distance of 40 cm from the edges.
If you drop from 5 mm to 2 cm need to use a thicker adhesive for drywall. It is applied with a usual spatula in small clumps around the perimeter and inside the perimeter at a distance of 10-15 cm from each other.
At differences of 2 to 4 cm initially on the wall glued strips or squares of plasterboard beacons. They are glued on plaster filler, creating a custom frame. The joints of sheets shall occur in the center of the lighthouse. Only after drying putty (this may take 2-3 days) is the gluing of sheets. Adhesive composition pre-applied to the beacons.
Installing light partitions
Plasterboard partitions are mounted on the frame. It can be “single” (to consist of only two guides) or “volumetric” (to include a pair of parallel rails on the ceiling and the floor). The second type is more complicated but it allows to obtain reliable and durable partition. Mounting of the separator with single frame is carried out according to this scheme:
Methods of finishing walls drywall
Original fine finishing of drywall will help to give the room a stylish look. To possible variations of the walls of gypsum Board are:
- painting: for painting you can use the usual formulations or paints with krakelyurnogo effect, pieces of cloth, glitter;
- Wallpaper paste: affordable and easy way to finish;
- the coating is decorative plaster: custom compounds will quickly transform a room;
- covering tiles: the optimal solution for the bathroom, but it is worth remembering that plasterboard walls are not able to carry large loads, so tile is better positioned at the bottom and combine with other types of finishes;
- trim plastic paneling: mount the paneling is easy and simple, additionally, it protect from moisture and mechanical damage to the drywall;
- wood clapboard or Board: unsuitable option due to the significant weight of the materials, however, such elements can be used to style (separation or decor) wall.
See also: Niche, in the interior of +50 pictures
Examples of the design of the walls of plasterboard
The style of the room by erecting a plasterboard wall set. The most common way of styling the installation niche. It can be placed around the head of the bed in the bedroom or represent multi-gypsum “rack”. For the organization of such designs will need to increase the subsidiary levels. Additionally, it is recommended to equip each individual niche lighting. Looks very strange design with the organization of the second level of the arch of plasterboard in the top of the wall. The space inside the niche can be painted or put Wallpaper. A simple way to create unusual designs can be considered separation angles of such walls with artificial stone. On the drywall over paint, decorative plaster or Wallpaper, you can commit a small plaster or foam decor. Impressive look collected from the foam moldings of the frame. Inside them you can pokleit Wallpaper in other colors or with other patterns, to carry out painting of walls.
Tips for working with drywall
To avoid errors when working with drywall and no problems to build from this material a wall or wall will help you with the following tips and secrets of the masters:
The use of plasterboard to simple replanning of the room is the best and affordable solution. Cheap material is simple in preparation and direct installation. In addition, a variety of types of leaves allows you to find the perfect options for arrangement of ordinary living rooms, and bathrooms, and rooms with fireplaces furnaces. To install gypsum boards with frame and without it. But it is necessary to consider the rationality of using different methods. For rooms, the walls of which have significant irregularities or to the laying of communications, it is better to use the first method. In the presence of the wall a minimum of defects and need to bring only a few elektrotochek, the best option would be a simple gluing of gypsum Board on the wall. Before commencing work, read the tips masters. Recommendations and secrets of the professionals will help to avoid different mistakes and get truly reliable and accurate wall or partition of the GCR.