Painting – the way of the image of the real or the fictional world with the help of brushes, paints, canvas, and can be run on other surfaces. It has different genres, made in different techniques. Painting the interior of modern urban apartment, suburban private home, luxurious office, will emphasize the selected style of the room, giving it identity, of individuality.
- About painting
- Types, genres
- The functionality in the interior
- The use of painting in the styles of interior
- The diversity of subjects, themes in painting
- Choice of color
- How to combine with other elements
- Tips where to hang
- How to care for oil paintings
The painting is one of many types of fine art. It originated in ancient times, when cave the ancestor of man began to draw on the stone walls colored pictures depicting what surrounded him every day. It was about 30 -35 thousand years ago.
Paints were made from natural materials of iron oxide received color from pale yellow to reddish-orange, was also used manganese. The pigments were mixed with animal fat, the drawing was made using sticks, brushes of bristles.
About 5 thousand years ago started to paint the Egyptians. They applied the paint on the walls, covered in lime, clay. Painting has evolved, improved, in the middle ages, has spread picturesque icons that shape the interior of the temples. During the Renaissance there was a full portraits, landscapes, from the XVIII century began to open art schools in different European countries. If the nineteenth century was very romantic, and painters aspired to the ideal, in the twentieth century, art became more rigid, somewhat rebellious. XXI century has brought the latest digital, including 3D technology, but many artists continue to paint in oil on canvas.
Types of painting are distinguished only five:
Pictorial genres, there is more:
- portrait is a self portrait, costume, historical, religious, ceremonial, chamber, miniature, etc.;
- landscape, including Marina portrayed the surrounding nature, sometimes modified by human activity. Marina is a marine species, any event on the boundless expanse of water;
- still life – an arrangement of several inanimate objects (utensils, fruits, books, draperies), usually located on the table, window, any other surface;
- animal shows animals, birds, fish in all its glory. Furry art depicts anthropomorphic creatures;
- the battle – draws detailed scenes of battles, military events, battles at sea;
- historical – reflects the actual, mythological, biblical events that affected or supposedly influenced human history;
- architectural types of architectural structures from the outside, the interior of the interior;
- the genre is usually depicted everyday life of people engaged in work, eating, exploring nature, guests;
- religious iconography, almost any subjects connected with religion;
- decorative – it is divided into monumental (directly on the walls of buildings), theatre (sketches of costumes, sketches), painting (done on the walls or any other objects).
See also: Burlap in interior decor with their hands +80 pictures
The functionality in the interior
The function of the artwork design is very different – from simple jewelry to covering up holes on the wall, namely:
- the final touch to the overall decoration of a room;
- “smoothing” the proportions of furniture;
- unique accent detail;
- adjusting the shape of the room;
- positive impact on mood;
- bring a hint of luxury.
The picture should match the purpose of the room: in the living room are placed large canvases with landscapes, in the kitchen – mouth-watering still lifes, bedroom – abstraction in pastel colours in the nursery – flowers, fish, animals.
In the living room not recommended to hang too bright canvases with aggressive subjects – they will be tired eyes, the atmosphere will be tense.
The use of painting in the styles of interior
Different types of painting are used almost in any interior:
- classic – portraits, seascapes, placed symmetrically, genre painting, colorful still lifes, luxurious Palace scenes, gilded frames;
- loft paintings with clear details, landscapes of modern cities, detailed images of cars, motorcycles, buildings;
- country preferred landscapes, including those made with watercolors, on rural subjects, still lifes, and genre scenes;
- Provence – images of flowery fields, still lifes and lush bouquets, farm animals, birds;
- minimalism – a simple canvas in the style of cubism, surrealism, fit a modular pattern;
- Baroque – a rich design of frame carving, patina, portraits, landscapes, images of palaces, temples XVII-XIX century originals and copies;
- art Deco – the old combined with Oriental motifs, mostly paintings bright, frame surround;
- Japanese – paintings without frames with Oriental scenes – portraits of people in national costumes of the Japanese, flowering cherry, inscriptions of hieroglyphs.
The diversity of subjects, themes in painting
The stories are relevant to the design of the room, personal preferences of tenants – exclusively one loves Russian realism type K. Brullov, I. Repin, Savrasov, the other new York school painting that represents abstract expressionism, the third like avant-garde or surrealism.
For Chinese painting is characteristic only three genres – portrait, water and mountains, flowers and birds. Because in China everything is made in accordance with the traditions of Feng Shui, every element has its meaning and should not be placed only in a certain room, but in accordance with the cardinal point. Russian painting is divided into periods – in some there are ladies in magnificent dresses and magnificent palaces of the XVIII century, in other – the life of a Soviet worker or peasant of the early twentieth century, in the third – a modern person in a developed infrastructure of the metropolis and the surrounding reality.
See also: Artificial flowers for home interior – 25 photo examples
The most popular subjects of paintings are used for interior decoration:
- people waist – length, group portraits, characters, engaged in any activity, rest;
- animals – wild, domestic, birds, aquarium fish;
- still life – kitchen utensils, all the food, flowers, composition of small household items;
- landscapes – rural, urban, sea, forest, different seasons, buildings, structures;
- fantastic – poorly understood, but the intricate subjects related to surrealism, futurism, materialism, etc.;
- geometric contrast color stripes, circles, cubes, fractals, having a clear form;
- abstraction – the plot is blurred or missing, it is usually vague spots, streaks, fuzzy silhouettes;
- signs – words, letters, phrases, texts, hieroglyphs, originally designed color.
A win-win for any room – the portraits of the inhabitants of the room, realistic or caricatures.
Choice of color
Color design is chosen for colour of the interior – contrasting or similar colours. For each room requires different color – bright, warm, visually enlarge the space, therefore are recommended for cramped rooms with Windows to the North, dark, cold – opposite, narrow, so hang them in larger spaces with Windows to the South.
In the kitchen it is recommended to place the composition in green, orange, red and yellow colors – the composition should whet the appetite, stimulate the speedy cooking. Of the artists recommended P. Cezanne, Klimt, P. Gauguin.
For bedroom are chosen in soft colors, simple plot, not too colorful (battle scenes F. Rubo, rough cubism from Pablo Picasso, completely unacceptable). Will suit color, monochrome portraits in the style of “Nude”, A. Matisse, Courbet, brown, yellow, and green landscapes Shishkin, pink-orange-blue marine scenes by Ivan Aivazovsky.
In the living room, hang large canvases with a lot of details, variety of colors – such that the guests of the house, the owners were interested in their long time to treat. Depending on the style of the room you can use pictures of I. Bosch and P. Bruegel, S. Botticelli, Chagall, etc.
Children’s is made depending on the child’s age – kids, younger students will enjoy playing the “naive art”, a fabulous lurid stories in the delicate, pink-yellow-blue hues, the young neo-realistic painting, colorful pop art, black and white stencils.
See also: Bouquets and arrangements of artificial flowers
How to combine with other elements
Paintings combine correctly with everything in the room without creating dissonance. Portrait in heavy framing frame does not fit into the minimalist Japanese interior, abstraction without a frame will not work for Empire, classical, Gothic, providing luxurious carved, patinated furniture.
Usually paintings are hung at eye level: major – the same distance from the nearest furnishings, small allowed to place randomly, if they are all on the same wall or at the same height when placed on two or more walls. One single feature in the most prominent place, but if space allows, leave her alone.
The image on the canvas becomes an extension of the interior or duplicate the individual items placed in the room.
Tips where to hang
The interior design of different styles offers a variety of accommodation, mostly a wall, but allowed to hang pictures on the pillars, the inner steep slopes of the attic floor.
Useful tips for placement:
- you should not place the cloths near the stove, furnace soot washed extremely difficult;
- they should be hiding from the sun – otherwise it will gradually fade;
- the nail, which keeps the design should not touch the canvas – can be damage;
- it is advisable to place it at a slight angle relative to the wall – then the dust will settle mostly on the frame;
- near heating devices paintings do not hang – high temperature spoil them, the paint cracks.
Optionally, the paintings illuminate, attracting attention to them.
How to care for oil paintings
Paintings written by oil paintings on canvas, other cloth, heavy cardboard, wood. To impart lightfastness and protection against water and physical damage to their fir covered with a special varnish. To protect glass this painting is optional.
From dust, dirt clear picture of velvet or flannel cloth, but not much wet surface will absorb water, the textile is damaged. Canvas allowed occasionally to vacuum on the reverse side, if it is slack or there was a noticeable dent, the back slightly moistened with water to the canvas taut.
Paintings beautify, diversify the interior, make it unique, perfect for almost any rooms with normal humidity level. Real paintings from famous artists of the past is overly expensive. Cheaper reproduction made by a local urban craftsmen, students of art educational institutions. If you have the skills, a simple abstraction, or a watercolor landscape performing with his own hands, having purchased a simple frame – all kinds of manuals on painting, drawing available a lot.